Friday, February 23, 2007

Blog Assignment # 4

Art: 21-Place
1. I guess we define a place.

2. Laurie Anchorson was inspired by many different places. Sally Man preferred the south and worked with what was there. Because they were there was the reason why her children were involved in her pieces. Barry McGee and Margret Kilgallen preferred the outside. Graffiti also interested them and most of their art looked similar to graffiti. Pepon Osirio is inspired by his memories of the place where he grew up and his artwork reflected that.

3. Honestly, it was never really something I thought about before. But I knew that location could serve a purpose in art.

4. I'm not really sure if I felt a connection to any them.

5. Each artist used a different form of media. Laurie Anchorson had the huge chair. Sally Man's work was mostly photography. It was mainly graffiti for Barry McGee and Margret Kilagallen. Pepion Osorio used everyday objects one would find a certain place.

6. When I was a kid, anywhere where I could be alone was good, and school turned out to be the scariest place on earth.
a. school gym - hell
b. bedroom - sanctuary
c. hometown - boring
d. public library - fun
e. arcade - loud

7. The gym of my old school had basketball hoops, and other sport equipment. Even Ping Pong and scuffle board. The gym floor was smooth but hard. Though falling on that doesn't hurt as much as getting run over by one of jocks. With them it's like crashing into a metal wall. The basketballs were ruff and hurt when they hit you in the face. Even though it's brightly lit it's a dark place when you're athletically inept. Especially when there are those jocks who get a little too into the game and nearly kill themselves and everyone else just to get to the ball.

Stories
1. I'm not really sure. There are so many old stories that are still told today, and it's kind of hard to say which new stories will still be told years from now.

2. If a story is still being told after a long time then the story must have some significance.

3. The artist used used sketchbooks in journals to put ideas in. I guess sketchbooks and journals could count as art. Artist use them to keep track of ideas, and sometimes something drawn or written out of boredom could provide ideas for a project.

4. 4 Year-old Voice:
Why isn't Daddy here anymore? Why does Mommy always have to go to work? Why can't I leave the yard? Jake think he's leader. I'm the oldest. I'm in charge.

Present Day:
There was so much about the world I didn't understand when I was four. My parents were divorced but I still didn't understand why my Dad wasn't around anymore. I didn't get why my mom had to go to work everyday, mainly because I missed her while she was at work. But now that I'm older I fins that it's easier to do things without a parent breathing down your neck. I was probably more adventurous then, because I always wanted to know what was beyond the backyard. (Sigh) I think was more confident when I was four. At that age my cousin Jake considered himself group leader. (Group meaning Jake, me and my sister.) I felt that I should be in charge because I was older. But it also may have come from the fact that I was taller than him then too.

No comments: